Have you ever woken up miserable before your day even starts? Maybe it was a poor night’s sleep or a too-realistic, unpleasant dream, but you crawl out of bed feeling blech. Checking social media annoys you. Children frustrate you. You just know you’re going to have to resist the urge to punch someone today.
When this happens to you, what do you do about it? Grumble your way through ‘til quitting time? Hide behind your coffee cup? Would you like some other suggestions? Try these things…
- Work out – Getting sweaty can be a healthy way to reduce stress and release tension. With everything from walking to yoga to kickboxing, there’s bound to be some exercise that will turn your frown upside down.
- Shower – Cold water can be invigorating. Hot can feel comforting. Whatever you need to start your day refreshed, right? Try not to rush getting cleaned up. Enjoy the temperature and the feel of the water spraying down on you.
- Bathe – If you’ve got a bit more time available, a calming soak in the tub can be a gift to yourself that others will appreciate. Throw in some bubbles or bath salts to enhance your morning spa treatment.
- Aromatherapy – Sometimes the smells of your soaps or shampoos may be enough to bring you peace. Other times you may find lighting a candle or turning on a wax warmer or oil diffuser (so many smell good options) during your morning routine might be the little extra that allows you to breathe through the stress.
- Meditate – Speaking of breathing, taking five or ten minutes to close your eyes and focus on nothing more than breathing can truly change the direction of your day.
- Writing – Whether organizing your day with a to-do list or venting to a journal, getting out what’s got you down can help you (A) let go of it long enough to get on with your day or (B) see solutions in dealing with the stress itself.
- Dress up – If you’re able, donning something that makes you smile will help you actually feel good. Even if you have a uniform to wear and can’t openly express yourself, no one can control what you put on underneath. Lacy underwear makes any day better. Wink, wink.
- Sex – Since we’re winking, we might as well go all the way, right? I’m not sure there’s a better stress relief out there and morning relations can be a fun and unexpected way to set the tone for your day.
So, if you wake up on the proverbial wrong side of the bed, try one or two of these suggestions* and let me know how the rest of the day turns out.
*I recommend sex before showering. Or during.